Tuesday 16 June 2009

Smashing Old Plates

I'm so excited! This weekend I'm going to Greece for a friend's wedding who moved back to Greece a few years ago. My friend laughed as she let me know that I wasn't to worry as there wouldn't be any smashing of plates at the wedding. Once the invitation had arrived the usual wedding guest stress ensued: what to buy for a gift. With (fortunately) no department store wedding list to select from, I set off in my search for a gift that was hand-crafted or vintage and that had some connection with England.

I found what I was looking for at the Dulwich Craft Fair on Saturday. Drinks coasters hand-made by Anna Tilson from broken pieces of porcelain china. How English. How resourseful. And, with a nod towards the Greek tradition for smashing plates. Perfect.