Monday 2 November 2009

Re-Designed by Gary Harvey

The time has come for a ruthless clear-out. It appears that I have applied the same logic to my computer's hard-drive as I have to my loft: cram in as much inspirational material as possible, never throw away / delete anything.

You see, clicking and dragging file after file into the trash icon seems an incredibly dull task to me. I'd much rather be in my loft dodging spiders and wooden beams in the search for forgotten pieces of fabric. Or so I thought until - mid click and drag - I came across these long-ago saved images.

Creative consultant Gary Harvey re-designed these outfits by reconstructing discarded garments. Why I haven't shared these images earlier I have no idea.

Seeing these outfits again has inspired me to make better use of the clothes and fabrics that I am hoarding in my loft. So while you take a look at Gary's creativity I'm off to join the spiders in my loft.

Denim Dress by Gary Harvey
Made from 42 pairs of discarded Levi 501 jeans.
"Jeans are one of the most hardwearing garments... Since the transition from 'work-wear' to fashion, jeans are often discarded for the latest silhouette before the end of their useful life"


Black T.Shirt Dress by Gary Harvey
Made from 37 black logo t.shirts.
"Logo tees... often given away by brands or bought as souvenirs, one of the cheapest garments to make, often made in appalling conditions by workers earning less than the minimum wage."


Baseball Puffball Dress by Gary Harvey
Made from 26 nylon Baseball jackets.
"Sportswear was originally designed as a uniform for athletes..., since entering the mainstream fashion arena in the 1980's, we've seen loads of non-biodegradable garments discarded at the end of the season for new team kit or the latest fashion trend."