Wednesday 12 August 2009

Inspired by Prints Charming

Prints Charming arrived at Liberty's on Saturday. Not wanting to miss my chance of going to the ball, I visited the store yesterday. I was welcomed by a complete wall swatched in Liberty's Betsy fabric. Captivated already, I made my way to the fourth floor for a glimpse of Prints Charming.

The exhibition is an eclectic mix of objects created using Liberty fabrics. A wacky and wonderful collection of bicycles, books, wellington boots, rag-dolls, luggage tags, tea pots and a quirky play house. Specially commissioned pieces have been designed exclusively for the exhibition. My favourites were by Squint, who have created a collection of one-off items. Lamps, mirrors, chairs and side tables are wrapped in a patchwork of assorted prints and vintage fabrics to produce beautiful, eccentric pieces. I was charmed and inspired.

I can't wait to create my own Prints Charming pieces. It's time for a visit to my local junk shop in search of objects waiting to be transformed with the fabrics that I've accumulated over the years. Why not do the same? Or, check out Squint's website.

Finally, for more inspiration, Liberty have produced awe-inspiring window displays to celebrate the exhibition: