Monday 17 October 2011

Creating shade at Brixton Village Market

Wonderfully creative use of old lampshades
at Brixton Village Market.
Image by Re-Design for Life.

For over two years now, I have been living with a bare lightbulb in the ceiling light at the top of my stairs.   Having searched high and low considering various options, I am still totally in-the-dark as to how to shade the naked glare.

Perhaps something mid-century modern?  Something reclaimed from a victorian school?  Something Scandinavian?  Something tongue-in-cheek chintz?

This morning my light-bulb of inspiration shone at Brixton Village Market, where one of the 'Avenues' has the most wonderfully adorned lights hanging from it's 1930's ceiling.  Each light has a unique shade created from a combination of chintz damasks, retro wooden and plastic lanterns, English country florals,  1960's patterns, scallop edges and fringing.

So there hangs the answer of how to dress my bare light-bulb.  I'll combine all of my ideas to create one unique piece.  The search for each individual shade begins...

Image by Re-Design for Life

Image by Re-Design for Life

Image by Re-Design for Life